1 medium onion, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 pound breakfast sausage
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
2 sheets puff pastry
2 tablespoons sesame seeds, for garnish (optional)
1. Heat oven to 400°F and line a sheet pan with parchment paper. In a medium skillet on medium high, heat oil until it begins to shimmer. Add onion and sauté until translucent, 3-5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 30 seconds until fragrant. Stir in spices and cook just until fragrant. Allow to cool.
2. In a medium bowl, mix onions, sausage, 1 egg and breadcrumbs until combined.
3. On a lightly floured surface, roll each sheet of puff pastry into a 14 by 16-inch rectangle. Cut into four 7 by 8-inch rectangles. With a pastry brush, lightly brush the long edges of each pastry with egg wash.
5. Using your hands, form the meat mixture into logs 1 inch wide by 8 inches long. Place a log on the bottom third of one piece of pastry. Roll the pastry to encase the filling and roll on the seam to seal shut. Assemble remaining rolls.
6. Transfer rolls to sheet pan, lightly brush with egg wash and sprinkle with finishing salt. Cut the top of each roll at 1-inch intervals. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle sesame seeds, if using.
7. Bake for 25 minutes until pastry is puffed, golden brown and sausage is cooked through. Cut in to 1-inch rolls. Serve warm or at room temperature.